As one of Australia’s largest charities the St Vincent de Paul Society is urging people from across the country to get behind National Op Shop Week 2014 to be held from 24 to 31 August, 2014.
Vinnies Shops are undeniably the public face of our organisation and the week before Spring is a timely reminder for people to clear their wardrobes of clothing no-longer needed, but in good condition, and donate the items to their local charity op shops.
“Donations of quality, saleable clothing are essential to meet the ever growing demand for our community services,” says Dr John Falzon, the Chief Executive of the St Vincent de Paul Society National Council of Australia.
“All proceeds raised by Vinnies op shops go towards running our vital programs that help more than 2.2 million people each year.”
Shop at Vinnies and help the environment
A joint initiative of Do Something! and the National Association of Charitable Recycling Organisations (NACRO), the week seeks to boost the stocks and sales of quality clothing and thus help the charities raise more funds for their work in the community.
Kerryn Caulfield CEO of NACRO said Australian charity recyclers divert two billion items (over 300,000 tonnes) of clothing from landfill each year through clothing donation bins and in-store donations.
Some 75 per cent is able to be recirculated through charity op shops, donated to those in need, reprocessed into functional textiles or sent to third world countries to provide clothing to many of the poorest people in the world.
“Donating to a charity op shop is a great way to help others as well as the environment,” Ms Caulfield said.
Make your donation count
- Clothing donations should be clean, undamaged, and reasonably wrinkle-free. They can be folded and packed in sturdy boxes or bags. Please don’t include coat hangers.
- Items that come in pairs, like shoes, gloves, socks, suits should be kept together.
- Shoe laces can be tied together, gloves and socks can be stuffed inside each other, matching belts securely fastened.
- Check your pockets before you donate.
- Find your nearest Vinnies Shop
- Visit the National Association of Charitable Recycling Organisations (NACRO) website
- Website: http://OpShopWeek.com.au
- Twitter: @OpShopWeek
- Hashtag: #opshopweek