Leaders from the community sector, including Vinnies CEO Dr John Falzon and Australian Council of Social Service (ACOSS) CEO Dr Cassanda Goldie, came together at the Australian Progress Conference held in Melbourne on 7 May, 2015 to discuss the kind of Australia they would like to see. This information was first published on the ACOSS website.
What the Federal Budget can deliver for Australia – #OurCommonAsks
The release of the Federal Budget is an opportunity for all Australian people to define what we should do with our nation’s resources. The budget exists at the service of our communities, and must reflect the priorities of the country we want to live in– now and in the future.
1. Make sure everyone, people and corporations, pay their fair share of tax so we can invest in a future for all Australians.
2. Make us a more equal country with a strong social safety net so everyone has enough to live on with dignity.
3. Support families who need it with the costs of raising children, because every child and family deserves to thrive.
4. Close the gap between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians – living standards, employment opportunities and access to health and education.
5. Guarantee quality preschool education and invest in our schools so that every student can achieve their potential.
6. Deliver excellent universal healthcare for all people, no matter where we live or whether we can individually afford to pay.
7. Properly fund universities, science and research because the intellectual capital of our nation will be what defines Australia’s success in the 21st century.
8. Stimulate investment in the industries, jobs and entrepreneurs of the future.
9. Cut carbon pollution and transition to 100% renewable energy for a cleaner, safer, sustainable future.
10. Build the critical physical and social infrastructure, the public services and effective government we need to be a great society.
11. Position Australia as a generous and responsible global citizen that provides foreign aid, development and poverty alleviation.
12. Provide services that enable full and equal participation by women in the Australian economy and public life.
Read the St Vincent de Paul Society’s response to the 2015-16 Federal Budget issued on 12 May, 2015.